Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs!

downsized_0918001417.jpg

Here at the PT house we have gone through a wet-weather streak, and now a dry weather streak that is accompanied by lots and lots of bugs as a result of the aforementioned wet weather streak.

When I'm working in the yard or garden they swarm around me.  Gnats and mosquitoes particularly.  I was told that herbs will help repel them... and I have an abundance of basil so I clipped of a bunch and stuck it in my bun.  From the picture you can see I am squinting from all the tiny bugs on my face.  So I don't think the basil helped any, perhaps it was the wrong herb? :-) I am thinking of trying some natural bug repellant... I hear that catnip oil does the trick (really, I dare you to Google it) I wonder how all our cats will handle that. 

downsized_0615011528a.jpg

And then there are the fleas!! So many fleas.  AND all of our animals are on flea and tick meds., AND WE STILL HAVE FLEAS!!!!! Our last trip to the vet (that I mention below) had us loaded up with spray for the house, and pills to kill any bug on every pet we own.  Now we have to pick a day and wage war on the fleas, spray, vacume, and wash every inch of the house.

Whats worse is Kona seems to be allergic to something outside.  He is fine one minute, then we go outside (even for only 5 minutes), and then when we are inside again the skin around his eyes are all swollen!  The first time it happened we took him to the emergency vet and spent about $160!!  We don't know what is causing it, and it keeps returning!  So he is on a benadryl regiment now.  I have a feeling it is the gnats because they swarm his eyes and he keeps pawing his face until after the benadryl has taken effect.

downsized_0612011325a.jpg

Kona will eat anything I hand him.  I thought he would take the benadryl pill just like a treat but the tiny little size of it confused him.  So I doctored it up with a dog biscuit and peanut butter sandwich.

downsized_0612011325.jpg

Notice the pink benadryll in the middle.  He liked his mondo-pill-sandwich, a lot, and spent a good five minutes or so licking his chops afterward.  Hubs and I still do not know what is causing the reaction, but hopefully it stops soon!  Please feel free to comment if you have any idea or tips!

downsized_0612011326.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment