Monday, July 4, 2011

Garden Enchiladas

A few weeks ago Hubs and I travelled to Pennsylvania where we were visiting my parents.  During our visit we went out to eat at Don Pablos, a mexican chain in the area.  I ordered a Spinach and Pimento Enchilada dinner.  I thought the meal was delicious with the spinach and peppers and onions all wrapped up and smothered with cheese and sour cream.  I also thought that I could cook it better...

When we returned to the PT House I instantly set about researching enchilada recipes.  I was quite obsessed really.  I decided to copy the spinach and pimento idea but I went a bit further to add a multitude of veggies and called it a Garden Enchillada.

I used:
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 Jalepeno peppers (seeded w/o ribs)
1 Green Bell Pepper
4 cloves pressed garlic
1 white onion
1 red onion
1 container mushrooms
2 Table spoons Cumin
1 Table spoon chili powder
2 pinches red pepper flakes
S and P
1 Bag frozen chopped spinach
1 Jar pimento slices
1 can beans rinsed (black, white, or pinto is best)
1 Jar green chile sauce
Mexican cheese mix
Sliced black olives
Cilantro, chopped
Pico de Gallo
Corn Tortillas

I chopped and sautéed all fresh veggies with evoo in a cast iron skillet.  Be sure to remove the ribs and seeds of the jalepeno peppers unless you like things really spicy.  I added the seasonings and S and P once the veggies started to look soft.  Then add the chopped frozen spinach, rinsed beans, 1/2 of your cilantro, and pimento peppers.  Once everything is very soft and mixed well add your desired amount of cheese to get everything to stick together and get all gooey.

Then soften the tortillas by frying them in medium-hot frying pan with oil (I used evoo and another cast iron).  If you have a helper it is great to have them do this while you are sautéing the filling.

Fill the tortillas and wrap them placing them in the pan with the opening side down.  Once you fill the pan with the enchiladas smother them with the entire can of green chile sauce, as much grated cheese as you wish, black olives, your remaining cilantro, and pico de gallo.  Bake in the oven @ 400 for 15-20 minutes.

The results are amazing.




I served the enchiladas with fresh guacamole, and a good rose wine.  This as already become one of our favorite dishes and Hubs wants be to make it every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment